Canterbury Interactive Map - Click on one of the locations below - Zoom bar for fine tuning

  • Canterbury Cathedral

    Canterbury Cathedral in Canterbury, is one of the oldest and most famous Christian structures in England and forms part of a World Heritage Site. It is the cathedral of the Archbishop of Canterbury, leader of the Church of England and symbolic leader of the worldwide Anglican Communion. Its formal title is the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Christ at Canterbury.
    Founded in 597, the cathedral was completely rebuilt from 1070 to 1077. The east end was greatly enlarged at the beginning of the twelfth century, and largely rebuilt in the Gothic style following a fire in 1174, with significant eastward extensions to accommodate the flow of pilgrims visiting the shrine of Thomas Becket, the archbishop who was murdered in the cathedral in 1170.
  • Westgate Towers

    Canterbury Westgate Towers
    One of the iconic landmarks of Canterbury, the old West Gate stands at the west end of the High Street, beside the River Stour. Generations of medieval pilgrims passed under the gatehouse arch on their way to the shrine of Thomas a Becket at Canterbury Cathedral. Road traffic now flows through the arch - its a bit of an eye-opener to see a modern coach navigate the narrow opening! Location: At the west end of High Street. Easy foot access from the Cathedral precinct.
    Canterbury Westgate Towers St. Peters Street, Canterbury CT1 2BQ Telephone: 01227 789576
  • Canterbury Castle

    Canterbury Castle was one of the three original Royal castles of Kent (the other two being Rochester Castle and Dover Castle). They were all built soon after the Battle of Hastings, on the main Roman road from Dover to London. This was the route taken by William the Conqueror in October 1066, and they were built originally as motte-and-bailey castles to guard this important route.
  • King's School

    King's School can make a good claim to be the oldest school in Britain. There was almost certainly a school established by St Augustine shortly after his arrival in Kent in 597 AD. Initially that school would have served primarily to train priests, but by the late 7th century the school had attained a reputation for learning that drew scholars from across Britain.
    The King's School Canterbury Kent CT1 2ES Tel Telephone: 01227 595501
  • St George's Tower

    St George's Tower
    The clock tower is all that remains of the medieval church of St George the Martyr. The church is best known as the place where playwrite Christopher Marlowe was baptised.
    High Street, Canterbury, Kent, England
  • Greyfriars Chapel

    Greyfriars Chapel and Franciscan Garden
    The chapel is the only remaining part of a Franciscan friary established in 1267. Greyfriars (named for the grey habits of the Franciscan order of monks) was the first Franciscan monastery in England.
    Eastbridge Hospital 25 High Street, Canterbury, CT1 2BD Telephone: 01227 471688
  • Canterbury Museum

    Explore Canterbury’s underground museum built around remains of a Roman town house with mosaic floors, preserved where excavated. Descend 100 years with each step to Roman Canterbury’s level! Discover amazing finds from everyday Roman life displayed in reconstructions of a house and market, with a Roman mystery sword burial, intricate glass, silver spoon hoard and rare cavalry horse harness.
    Enjoy the touch the past hands on area – handle Roman objects and be an archaeological detective! Suitable for all ages.
  • 8 Palace Street

    One of Canterbury's best half-timbered buildings. 8 Palace Street is a 13th century building with later additions. It may have been built as the rectory for the nearby church of St Alphege. Location: On the north side of Palace Street, a short stroll from the cathedral Canterbury.
    8 Palace St Canterbury, Kent CT1 2DY
  • Fyndon Gate

    Fyndon Gate is the original gatehouse to St Augustine's Abbey. It was rebuilt from 1301-1309 by Abbot Fyndon. In 1660 Charles I and Henrietta Maria stayed in the State Chambers over the gatewaty arch on their wedding night, following their marriage in Canterbury Cathedral. Elizabeth I is also reputed to have been welcomed to the State Chambers.
  • St Alphelge Church

    Canterbury, St Alphege Church
    St Alphege's was built around 1070 by Archbishop Lanfranc. It was rebuilt in the 12th century, and again in the 13th and 15th centuries. Among the interesting features is a late 15th century pillar, funded by a bequest from Thomas Prude. A brass coat of arms has been set into the pillar, with the inscription, 'Gaude Prude Thoma per quem fit ista columna.', which vey loosely translates as 'Thomas Prude paid for this column'.
    St Alphege Church Palace Street
  • Blackfriars

    The remains of a 13th century friary, on the bank of the River Stour. Blackfriars was founded around 1237 by Dominican monks, whose black surcoat gave them the popular monicker 'Black Friars'.
    Blackfriars St Canterbury, Kent CT1
  • Canterbury City Walls

    The Romans erected the first walls around Canterbury between 270 and 290 AD. Very little of those Roman walls remain. The walls we see today are medieval. The medieval walls surounded the entire city of Canterbury and were pierced by 8 gates, West Gate, North Gate, Quenin Gate, Burgate, Newingate, Riding Gate, Worth Gate, and London Gate. Of these, only West Gate remains. Location: Accessible from several points. The best section for walking the walls is located at Dane John Garden.
    Dane John Ct Canterbury, CT1 2RN Telephone: 01227 862000
  • House of Agnes

    The House of Agnes is a beautiful half-timbered medieval coaching inn just outside the old city walls of Canterbury. It takes its name from the character Agnes Wickfield, in the novel David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens. Dickens set several scenes from the novel in this inn, which dates to the 13th century.
    House of Agnes 71 St Dunstans Street Canterbury, Kent CT2 8BN Telephone: 01227 472185
  • St John's Hospital

    St John the Baptist Hospital is the oldest almshouse in England (though there are others of a similar date in Winchester). The almshouse was established in 1085 by Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, as a residence for needy 30 men and an equal number of women. The main entrance is through a beautiful timber-framed gatehouse off Northgate.
    Northgate, Canterbury, Kent, England, CT1 1BG
  • Christchurch Gateway

    The main visitor entrance to Canterbury Cathedral precinct is through this highly decorated gateway, which was originally built to celbrate the marriage of Arthur, Prince of Wales, to Catherine of Aragon in 1502. Arthur, unfortunately, died a few months later, and the gate was not finished for another 20 years. Location: Off Butter Market. Just follow the signs for the cathedral!
    Christ Church Gateway Sun Street, Canterbury, Kent CT1 2HW
  • The Roper Gate

    The Roper Gate is a decorated mid-16th century gateway that once provided an entrance to Place House, home of William Roper and his wife, Margaret Roper, daughter of Sir Thomas More. The gate is a wonderful example of decorative Tudor brickwork. Nothing now remains of Place House beyond the gateway.
    St Dunstan Street, Canterbury, Kent, England
  • Sir John Boys House

    Possibly the most photographed historic building in Canterbury after the Cathedral, Sir John Boys House (sometimes known as Crooked House, King's Gallery, or Old Kings Shop) is a delightfully skewed 17th century half-timbered building at the extreme end of Palace Street, with projecting jetties onto Palace and King Streets.
    28 Palace Street, Canterbury, Kent, England, CT1 2DZ
  • Old Weavers House

    One of the most photographed historic buildings in Canterbury, the Old Weavers House is a gorgeous half-timbered building on the River Stour. The river quite literally laps at the side of the building, which currently houses a popular restaurant.
    3 St Peter's St, Canterbury, Kent, England, CT1 2AT
  • Conduit House

    All that remains of medieval waterworks created to supply the nearby abbey of St Augustine. Location: On Kings Park road, off North Holmes Road. Limited parking along the verge, or a short 10 minute stroll from St Augustines Abbey.

More Info

(JavaScript must be enabled)

Canterbury Home
About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 6363

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 6367

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages